LAWYER WASHINGTON COUNTY
“Get a good lawyer!”
You hear that all of the time, and probably have even counseled a few people with that sage advice yourself, but how is this done? How do you find a good lawyer Washington County when you’ve been charged with a driving under the influence (DUI) or DWI offense? The results of this charge could haunt you for the rest of your life, even if you are innocent but ignorant of how a courtroom works.
Just any lawyer won’t do. You need a Washington County lawyer who specializes in DUI or DWI cases.
What To Look For
Just by looking online and in the Yellow Pages, you will probably be overwhelmed with choices for your DUI lawyer. Your best bet is to go to the website of your state’s bar association and check for DUI lawyers. Make appointments for interviews to help you make a choice. Unless you have a trustworthy friend or family member who can recommend a DUI lawyer for you, here is how to weed out the legal wheat from the chaff. A good DUI lawyer Washington County:
- Will have courtroom experience with records you can look up
- Will have at least one, preferably two paralegals working for him or her
- Will listen to what you have to say
- Will be in good standing with your local bar association
What To Avoid
Going to a lawyer can be a very intimidating experience for most people, whether they are innocent or guilty. You might be tempted to think all lawyers are experts in their field just because they have a degree. They are not. And you have the right to pick and choose your DUI lawyer. Run, don’t walk, if your potential DUI lawyer:
- Works alone without any assistants
- Has never tried a case
- Promises 100% that you will win your case (if he or she does — ask to get it in writing!)
- Urges you to plead guilty no matter what
- Tries to bully you into doing something that you don’t want to do, such as lying under oath
Although it might seem like an overwhelming and embarrassing task to find a good DUI lawyer, it can be done if you are patient and not hire the first lawyer you meet. Statistics show that a DUI charge can cost you, on average, $10,000 — even if you are innocent. Treat the selection of your DUI lawyer Washington County as the important investment in your future that it is.
T. Russell Noe is a Lawyer in Waller County